Graduate Certificate in Quality Assurance
Now accepting mid-year applications for 2013. Please apply by 30 June.
The Graduate Certificate in Quality Assurance (GCQA) offers a comprehensive academic program for the training and professional development of quality assurance professionals all around the world.
This one-year, online graduate program has been developed in close consultation with the International Network of Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE) and is awarded by the University of Melbourne for professional recognition internationally.
Being a fully online program, it offers maximum flexibility. Participants follow two compulsory modules after which they choose one of two electives. Program staff are international experts in quality assurance and higher education policy and management.
Why the GCQA?
Unlike most education and training for the QA profession, which is in the form of short courses and isolated workshops, the GCQA is a comprehensive academic program for the training and professional development of QA professionals.
Who should enrol?
Practising QA professionals and individuals who wish to play a role in QA in tertiary education contexts. In particular:
- Staff of existing or emerging external quality agencies (EQAs) needing education in the basic structures and implications of quality assurance, for development, innovation and improvement,
- Board/Commission members of EQAs,
- Evaluators/reviewers associated with EQAs,
- Staff of QA units within educational institutions,
- Administrators, academic staff, trustees and governors of educational institutions that are establishing or improving their internal QA systems, or needing to understand systems of external quality assurance and accreditation, and
- Individuals seeking to enter the QA field.
Participants undertaking this program can expect:
- A fully online program developed according to current state of the art online teaching, supported by extensive program resource,
- Integrated learning via theory, case studies, moderated discussion boards, webinars, virtual teamwork and work-based assignments,
- Scope to choose assignments aligned with personal development and career aspirations, and
- An updated curriculum.
For the full 2013 program outline, please refer to the brochure.
Successful participants can gain:
- Well-informed perspectives on the issues and challenges for tertiary education systems and institutions, with a particular emphasis on the role of QA in a dynamic sector, and
- An ability to apply the knowledge and skills gained in this program to engage more confidently and effectively in the tasks of leading people, influencing policy, and implementing QA policies and processes at both the system and the institutional level.
Past participants profile
Since its launch in 2010 the program has attracted participants from various regions around the world, including countries like Australia, Barbados, Ghana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Singapore, South Africa, The Netherlands, United Arab Emirates and USA. They also worked in various sectors like higher education, government and vocational training.
The charts below show the make-up of participants so far (2010-2012) based on region and organisation type.
Here are what some of our 2012 graduands had to say about the program.
"The course has been a fantastic learning experience and I have recommended it to many colleagues.” Ms. Lina Ridley, Quality and Compliance Director, Perth Institute of Business and Technology (PIBT).
"The GCQA has really increased my understanding of the QA environment, external and internal agencies and provided a firm foundation for addressing some institution matters. Indeed, the department is developing an integrated and comprehensive quality assurance system and I feel far more confident based on my learning during the GCQA. I really enjoyed the challenge and can already see and feel the benefits of the program.” Dr. Sandra Richards, Snr Programme Officer (Graduate Studies & Research), Quality Assurance Unit, The University of the West Indies.
“I commend the LH Martin Institute for introducing the GCQA and thereby offering some theoretical background to participants’ practical knowledge. Highlights for me included theories about the nature of tertiary education institutions; being challenged to be more analytical about who the external quality assurance players really are; and getting more confidence to insist on good internal QA processes. Teaching staff shared their considerable knowledge generously and the administrative support was excellent. I would definitely recommend the GCQA to anyone in the field.” Martin Boswell, Team Leader, Academic Quality & Policy, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
Fee and application details
Candidates are expected to have:
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent,
- At least two years of relevant work experience, and
- Current employment in the sector, and employer support to attend the program.
English language requirements
All applicants must meet the English language requirements of the University of Melbourne to be eligible for the program.
In general these are:
- IELTS (Academic English only): overall 7.0, with written 7.0 and no band less than 6.0.
- TOEFL (paper-based test): 600 + TWE 5.0
- TOEFL (computer-based test): 250 + 5.0 essay rating
- TOEFL (internet-based test): 100 + written score of 24 and no band less than 21.
The test must be taken no more than 24 months prior to application and the score must be achieved from a single test report.
Fee for the full (50 credit points) GCQA program is AU$14,000.
INQAAHE provides three scholarships worth US$ 5,000 each for candidates who satisfy their eligibility criteria. Please visit the INQAAHE website for further information.
How to apply
Apply online via the University of Melbourne's online application system by 30 June 2013 for those wishing to start mid-year.
Other information and enquiries
Online information sessions
Friday, 17 May 2013 and Thursday, 30 May 2013
10.00-11.00am Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC +10)
If you are interested in the program but would like to know more before applying, we recommend attending either of the above information sessions. During this time you will be able to ask questions directly to program staff and trial the technology used in its delivery. The session will be conducted online where all participants attend using their own computers or mobile devices with access to the Internet and, ideally, a webcam. The platform we use is Webex and there is no need for prior downloading or installation.
If you would like to attend, please register via the sessions' web page. After registration, we will send you an e-mail with your login details for the session. It is highly recommended that you log on around 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time to allow for any technical issues to be addressed.
For more information about the program, please contact Dr Chinh Nguyen or call +61 3 8344 0756.
More information is also available from the program brochure. Click on 'Download Brochure' to obtain a copy.